Wednesday, April 1, 2009

etchings



Here is a selection of some of my etchings. The above scene was engraved directly onto a copper point using the drypoint technique (ie no acid was used). I didn't trace the original sketch so it's back to front, but I quite like the effect. I think the original drawing is in my archive from 2008 - it's one of several drawings I did sitting at Pink Pony restaurant in Ludlow Street in the Lower East Side, New York. The three jazz bar scenes below are part of a wider project I'm currently working on - I plan to have a series of canvases completed this summer. The images are based on sketches I did at a gig at the Knitting Factory, again in New York. Two of them are etchings made using hard ground and aquatint and the third is a monoprint. The final etching is taken from a small watercolour sketch based on the view from a train window, made during a trip to Kerala in South India in 2005. The original image was published in the Mays Literary anthology in 2007. I'm not sure if the etching captures South India's vibrant atmosphere so much, but it was fun experimenting with the soft ground technique and using coloured ink.







1 comment:

NS said...

Loved the etchings, Marina. I think the jazz bar ones are really cool and was fascinated by the last one in which form and abstraction merge. I like the South Indian one - it does give you a feel of the place and it's an unusual composition.