Thursday, July 17, 2008

Chelsea Hotel, New York Subways + Boston's Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum


- My first visit to my friend Rupert at Harvard in September 2007 included a wonderful afternoon spent at the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum. After all that cycling, sightseeing, pizza eating and organic hippy ice cream scoffing, it was nice to chill out in the museum's elegant, Moorish arched cloister, which is filled with exotic looking flowers and ancient statues. It was my favourite Boston museum, and one of the artistic highlights of my stay on the East Coast. (Seeing Georges Seurat's sketches at MoMA at Christmas was another). Here's a sketch of Rupert in his seersucker trousers, chilling out against a pillar surrounded by leaves and flowers.



- Subway sketching (on the 'C' train...)



-I was at a gallery opening at the famous Chelsea Hotel one muggy August evening last year. Sitting on the narrow balcony sipping cool beer, it was a great time to talk to artists and people-watch. I saw a girl wearing a gorgeous white dress with a bold, red flower print. I just had to do a sketch of it.

No comments: